STEAM POWERED GIRAFFE

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Entry #9 - Media Synthesis

So I 'm sure many of you know what the picture of the "perfect person" looks like. Females are expected to be tall and skinny with a large bust and long hair while males are supposed to be tall and muscular. But think about it... How many people look like that?


Many forms of media such as magazines and television shows tell us that we are basically all supposed to look tall and slender. Many people are unable to change their appearance due to genetics or a health disorder. And I'm sure everyone knows that it is impossible to make yourself taller. I'm 18 and 5'3" and I can assure you that I've always wanted to be taller. My sister is 16 and 5'9" and I'm sure you can empathize with me when I say that I am always mistaken as the younger sister.

It's hard for me to feel good about myself when I am constantly bombarded with magazines  that talk about how to lose weight if you weigh over 120 pounds. How am I supposed to believe that I look attractive if I am constantly shown that I am not the ideal body type?

I believe that men and women should be shown accurately throughout media. No more Photoshop and heavy make-up. What do you say?

~The Final Spark, Rin

1 comment:

  1. Well my body type is surely not up there, I'm more on the heavier side but what matters is that we love ourselves the way we are and that every morning we see ourselves and think "I'm beautiful!"

    ReplyDelete